The ADD Resource Center says that ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) affects at least 6.4 million children in the United States. Are you one of the families who struggles with the poor concentration, impulsiveness and constant interruptions of your overly active, inattentive child? At All About Children Pediatrics in Eden Prairie, MN our pediatricians and certified pediatric nurse practitioners want parents and children fully informed about ADHD and ways to make your lives happy and productive.
What is ADHD in Eden Prairie?
The Journal of Behavior and Brain Function reports that Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder affects both children and adults. Individuals who have it seem to have a genetic tendency toward it--that is, ADHD appears to run in families. Plus, factors such as life stress and premature birth factor into its expression over time. While boys are more diagnosed more frequently than girls by a ratio of three to one, ADHD does affect both sexes, but it may show itself in different kinds of behavior.
Regarding children, parents, caregivers and teachers see the most obvious symptoms at school age when the youngster has difficulty fitting into the structure of the average classroom. The child may:
- Talk out of turn
- Have trouble concentrating (inattentiveness), staying on task, finishing homework and meeting deadlines
- Be restless and cannot sit still as may be appropriate for his or her age
- Be disorganized and forgetful
- Struggle with processing new information quickly
Diagnosis and treatment
After reviewing your child's behavioral symptoms and doing a complete physical examination, your physician at All About Children Pediatrics may recommend:
- Behavior therapy, including positive reinforcement and other strategies
- Stimulant therapy (medications such as Ritalin)
- Educational modifications (separate test taking location and clear directions as examples)
ADHD and other behavioral disorders in children take time and patience to manage. Your professional team at All About Children Pediatrics will help you and your child each step of the way so you both experience full, healthy and happy lives. To arrange a consultation with one of our pediatricians, please call us at (952) 943-8200.